Re: IDE drives and 2.0.34/5

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:43:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Anders Henriksson wrote:

> The question is simple, should I access my 4.3GB ide drives as Normal, LBA or Large? Does the linux kernel care?
>
> Up to the 2.0.33 kernel Normal works fine but from 2.0.34 I cant make it work.
> I suspect that part of the problem is that my bios won't recognise my discs correctly if I use LBA or Large, and maybe I should. I can fix this with fdisk but the kernel still doesn't work properly.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Details: p200MMX, TX chipset, 96MB ram, 2 * 4.3GB fujitsu ide drives

Is the model/name by chance MPC3043AT?

The "C" firmware revision of this drive only by Fujitsu is known to
break/crash/trash anything if it is connected to a VIA chipset and
anything other thann PIO mode transfers are used. I hope this is not
another case of breakage. Blacklisting drives is ugly.

Note that the MPB3043AT firmware is cool with all hardware that I know
of which has been tested. Tests provided by the folks at Javanco
Electronics in Nashville, TN.

> Symptoms: Booting the 2.0.34+ kernel destroys the file system beyond repair
> causing a kernel panic in the next boot (failed to mount root...)
>
> I have also provoked the 2.0.34 kernel to dump the following messages on
> the screen:writing x/y buffers
> What does this mean?

Cheers,
Andre Hedrick