Re: Virtual Machines, JVM in kernel, hot-swapped kernel

Tomasz Rola (rtomek@cis.com.pl)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:57:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 02:19:48AM +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> >
> > Also, I'm interested in JVM (Java Virtual Machine) built into the kernel.
> > Has somebody started this already on Linux? Yes, I know about Java
>
> Why on earth would anybody want to do this??? This clearly has to go into
> userspace, and luckily the solution already works.

Yes but JVM in the kernel opens quite new possibilities - not counting new
ways to freeze the system :-).

> > support in current kernels but it's in user space. I'm interested in
> > kernel-space one. How about other languages - Lisp, perhaps ?...
>
> How about including gcc, the X server, emacs, my window manager and some
> commercial prhgrams into the kernel?

Lisp was mentioned only as an example. I don't know what for it could be
used to but even if I can't find any use, maybe somebody can.

Developing in the OS area is a subject to ongoing war between those
talking "we don't need this feature, it's a crap" and those talking "I
would like to try, perhaps this new thing can do something good". That's
only my personal opinion, of course. And each side is right, because there
has to be some kind of compromise between those two points of view.
Because every OS needs to be stable and, also, to go further. Even if some
of us are going in wrong direction, this is still better than going to
nowhere, IMHO. Incorrect decisions can make this process costly, however
:-).

> > Third problem I would like to ask about is if there is any work going to
> > make Linux kernel hotswappable? I mean, having kernel, say, 2.0.33 I'd
> > like to replace it with kernel 2.0.34 (or better 2.0.36 :-) ) without the
> > need for reboot.
>
> There was some talk on this lately, but with no conclusion. Best to search
> the archive and contact the people directly.

OK, I'll grab the thread. Thanks.

bye
T.

--
** Tomasz Rola          I am going to forward myself to /dev/null  **
**                      To check if data is really discarded there **