Re: Notebooks

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:55:20 -0700

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 21:50:25 +0100 (BST)

> BTW, it seems the SO_LINGER code is broken in 2.1 (only code that looks
> at sk->lingertime is inet_release, and the only thing it does with it is
> to assign it to a dead variable which is probably optimized away from gcc)
>
> Does anyone use SO_LINGER?

Yes people use SO_LINGER. Yes it should work.

It's "sort of" fixed in 2.0.x, the problem is we can't have the
"traditional BSD" behavior for this thing in certain cases as it's not
right.

It allows the user to perform an abortive close, and various
applications use this to subvert TIME_WAIT. Even current FreeBSD does
not allow this to be done for the same reason.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com