Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:04:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH writes:

> >> Shut up, you elitist 680x0 user.
> >
> > My, such a cogent argument.
>
> It was well deserved, considering the part of the post you trimmed.
> He told us all to get better hardware (obviously the Amiga) or just
> live in hell with our PC hardware.

I don't think Jes wants you to buy an Amiga.

The problem is that a lot of PC hardware is crappy. And people just buy it
because it's 50 cent cheaper than decent hardware. What a wonderful world...

> The i740 can issue multiple requests for texture data stored in main memory.
> Don't think "WinVideo" here, since the chip uses several MB of local
> memory while simultaneously fetching from main memory at 533 MB/s.
> On a good machine, that could mean hundreds of MB of textures.

Please show us the programming specs for the i740 first (without NDA!) so we
can write a driver for it :-)

It's nice to have such a video chip if you can't even write a driver for it.

> > (I'm an x86 user, by the way, so your ultimate argument doesn't apply.
>
> No, you have different reasons than he does. You are willing to give up
> stability for a tiny bit of speed on low-end hardware. He has an Amiga.
> The only thing you have in common is a "screw you" attitude towards
> people who want stable PC video and/or want to use advanced features.

People who want a `stable' system should buy `stable' hardware.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be