Re: Solid v2.1.115 kernel lockup

Stephen Williams (steve@icarus.com)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 15:25:05 -0700

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 linker@z.ml.org wrote:
>
> > I'm fairly sure it's a deadlock bettwen the two drivers but I can't see
> > it.. The sb drivers are a mess of cli's..
>
> Yep, I'm very certain that this is the case - I have noticed that the
> system will always lock up if it does a hard disk access at the same time
> as it plays a sound. It sounds like the (excuse the pun) sound driver and
> the IDE driver are fighting with each other to service the interrupts.

My alpha doesn't even *have* a sound card, and I get hard lockups with 115,
and less frequently with 111 as well. I'm running UP w/ aic7xxx SCSI,
DE450 and 3c509 ethernet, an S3 based video card, on a PC164 system.

It is true that it is most likely to lock up when there is disk activity.

Note that I recompled with egcs-19980714 configured to --disable-haifa,
and it will barely finish booting before hanging. If someone is working on
this problem and needs config files, I'm willing. In the mean time,
here's hoping 116 helps.

steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,