Re: IRQ trouble

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:46:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Jeroen-bart Engelen wrote:

> I'm currently having some IRQ problems in a vanilla 2.0.35 setup.
> My new Adaptec AHA-2920 (using the future domain module) conflicts with my
> Diamond Viper V330.

Disable the IRQ on your video card. It is unnecessary. Most PC
BIOS's have an "Assign IRQ2 to VGA" enable disable in CMOS setup.
Set it to disable.

> They both use IRQ9 and work in Win95.
> When I tried getting the SCSI to work in Linux I experienced system
> lockups when I started X.

Perhaps it gets disabled on the video card by the video driver in
Win95. Or perhaps Win95 allows them to share, but the video card
doesn't use the IRQ so there are no problems.

> The lockup occur when:
> I load the module and then start X, when the videomode changes the system
> hangs (hard reset is required).
> Or when I start X, exit X and then insmod the driver (hard reset required
> as well).

You'll probably have to disable the VGA IRQ, or change the IRQ on
your SCSI card.

> To be honest, I never tried insmodding the driver from an Xterm, but I
> think the result would just be another lockup.

Probably.

> I know IRQ's can be shared, although I'm not sure about IRQ9, since it's
> the cascading IRQ, but Win95 seems to have no problem with it.
> Weird thing is, DOS also hangs upon loading of the SCSI-driver.

Win95 is probably fooling you. I doubt it shares an IRQ with
anything.

> Is this normal behaviour, if so then why doesn't Linux warn me that the
> IRQ is already used?

Good point!

> If this isn't any pointers on how to fix it?

Just try disabling VGA IRQ. If not in your CMOS, then look at
your video card for a jumper to disable it. It is unused by any
software on the PC anyways...

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com