Re: idle priority

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 02:58:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

> - we want to change schedule_idle() to immediately replace a
> SCHED_IDLE process when something else is runnable

(this was done this way in the original version of schedule_idle(). Also
it is not by accident that the current version is #if 0-ed out)

> - we want _long_ timeslices to maximize speed and to minimize
> impact on cache/memory/etc. (say 1 minute)

doing a full cacheflush takes some ~2 millisecs on most x86 boxes. ie the
default 200 msecs timeslice is OK. Also even though they are SCHED_IDLE,
it does not mean rc5 clients want to time out on network connections
just because they happen to have a 1 minute timeslice each ...

-- mingo