Re: PPP --- TCP bad checksums

Michel Catudal (bbcat@netonecom.net)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 13:07:09 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:

> > There have been many reports that use if VJ compression triggers errors
> > with some ISP equipment. You might try turning that option off an seeing
> > what happens.
>
> Be that as it may (and its definitely the case) it doesn't cover the
> "2.0.35 works perfectly" cases. All of these appear to be PPP - is anyone
> seeing them wit SLIP (does anyone run SLIP any more)

I encountered a new problem with the PPP at noon and I was wondering
if anyone has a clue as to what causes this.

I connect as usual with ifup ppp0
the line goes dead for some reason and I let it try to connect
again after it's delay.

I try to load Netscape which bombs out. I look for a locked file,
no lock file. I try again, bombs out again.
I get out of X and delete the lock file which happened to be there
this time. I try to go back to X. I just get the starting screen, no
blue background. It just sit there. I kill it with ctrl alt backspace.

I call ifdown ppp0, line doesn't turn off.

I look in the log and see messages about the modem being locked.
I reboot and problem seems gone.

The PC has been on all night, last I rebooted was yesterday afternoon.

I have never had that problem with the 2.0.34 kernel or any other
2.0.xx kernel

System is Dell Precision with 486/DX and 24M or ram
running RedHat 5.1 with French setup.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking