Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Raul Miller (rdm@test.legislate.com)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:15:26 -0400

Richard Gooch <Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU> wrote:
> > > Note that if you have a configuration which uses devfs solely for
> > > its role as an information service provider for devfsd, (i.e. you
> > > keep using a disc-based /dev) then one of the things you loose is the
> > > ability to lookup non-existent device nodes in /dev and have modules
> > > automatically loaded by kmod.
> I'm afraid I don't quite see what you're getting at here. Could you
> please rephrase it somehow?

My point is that once you've taken into account requirements for browsing
(is the hardware installed correctly?) and security (who's allowed to
bring up a piece of hardware?), you're way outside the scope of what
you can do with the ability to lookup non-existent device nodes in /dev
causing modules to be automatically loaded by kmod.

--
Raul