Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:29:35 +1000

Shawn Leas writes:
[about devfs and devfsd]
> Where would the smarts be? Would it be an option to devfsd to populate
> the /dev, or would it be some property of /devfs that is set in the way it
> is mounted so that devfsd could simply infer that it should act as a /dev
> populator? Is that a better way to ask? Or is my question bogus somehow?

Devfs will still maintain a namespace, at least for the time
being. And it will be mounted somewhere so you can access the device
node that devfsd uses to talk to devfs. However, if you don't do
anything more with the mounted devfs, then this will save RAM since
the device nodes don't need to be created (only the devfs entries are
created).
Devfsd will support setting permissions on device nodes in devfs,
running programmes, as a minimum. Anything else can be built from
this. I may add built-in mounting and device node creation in a normal
disc-based /dev.

Note that if you have a configuration which uses devfs solely for its
role as an information service provider for devfsd, (i.e. you keep
using a disc-based /dev) then one of the things you loose is the
ability to lookup non-existent device nodes in /dev and have modules
automatically loaded by kmod.

Regards,

Richard....