Re: Kernel 2.0.35 and 36pre2 not starting up

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 01:06:32 -0400

On Sat, 08 Aug 1998 16:13:32 EDT, Lorenzo M. Catucci wrote:
> So good,
> this is the very first time in years I'm unable to bootstrap a
> stable kernel! The very last message I get is the 'mounting root file
> system readonly', and then the system hangs. I tried both 35 and 36pre2,
> with the very same results; 34 worked well here, but I missed support for
> my asuscom isdn card... As usual, I tried compiling without isdnet, scasi,
> audio support, but no luck... This is an asustek PII motherboard, don't
> remember the name, this is the one w/out scsi support, 128 M onboard with
> ECC enabled. A nice time to all of you, and to Alan in particular...

Did you recreate your /dev/console as a major 5 device (instead of a symlink),
while running 2.1.xx? If so, you need to make it a symlink again, b/c 2.0.xx
does not work with a 2.1 /dev/console.

Another way to quickly check your setup: boot with 'linux init=/bin/bash'; if
you get a shell prompt then your problem is somewhere in userspace (possibly
the console as init tries to open it, but bash doesn't).

Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.