Re: Unknown mode ID. Try again.

Zlatko Calusic (Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr)
09 Aug 1998 04:49:53 +0200

Szabolcs Ban <shooby@kornel.szif.hu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I couldn't find in list archive the answer for my question.
> I've got 2.1.115 with an s3 trio 64v+ (2megs), I compiled with vesafb.
> LILO's vga=ask,
> then i want to type a graph mode, for example 0301, or 301, it says
> "Unknown mode ID. Try again."
> On boot with another text mode I see this message:
> Aug 7 23:56:08 d kernel: fb0: VGA frame buffer device, using 32K of video
> memory
> so I compiled fb truely.
> Graph too.
> What could I do?

To use VESAFB, video card must be VESA 2.0 compatible.

S3 Trio cards are VESA 1.2 compatible, so they don't work (revision
1.2 doesn't support linear framebuffer, which VESAFB need).

But, there's one way to see the lovely penguin, if you have DOS on
your machine, that is.
Fire up UNIVBE or S3VBE20 TSR from DOS, and then warm boot Linux with
Loadlin.

Mentioned TSR-s upgrade VESA compatibility.
Search for them on the Internet.

Regards,

--
Posted by Zlatko Calusic           E-mail: <Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr>