Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 23:07:34 +1000

Andrea Arcangeli writes:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
> >I don' t know about the Theodore idea of ugly but I agree with him. _I_
> >see devfs flowed by its start. I just explained my thoughts about devfs
>
> Ton of emails convinced me that devfs could be useful (even if I don' t
> need it now, and it' s not useful due the fast file lookup in /dev/). I
> would like more devfs if it would be more clean/simple to register a
> device in devfs. A new thing I noticed is that void * are used in some
> places, why not to use a type != void to allow C to detect cast bugs?

I'm not sure exactly what you're driving at here. I assume you're
talking about the devfs_*() function prototypes?

Can you point to a particular piece of code where you think a pointer
other than to void is better?
Also bear in mind that in one driver the pointer type is going to be
different than another, hence the generic void * prototype is better.

Regards,

Richard....