Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 23:04:52 +1000

Andrea Arcangeli writes:
> On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> >I've just created a directory with 85000 inodes. An inode lookup (near
> >the end of the directory) takes about 10 ms on my dual PPro 180.
> >Extrapolating that to 8 million inodes gives us nearly a second.
> >Doing ls -lF on the directory is simply not possible: I killed it
> >after waiting 40 minutes.
>
> In the future with 8 million of device in /dev/ we will divide /dev/ in
> directories. Dividing /dev/ in two directories would divide 1 sec in 0.5
> sec of access. /dev/ has nothing of hardwired you can put your device also
> in /tmp/.
>
> Why don' t you have all your files in / without directories?

The case I'm talking about isn't the same as all files in /usr,
though. It makes sense to have all your SCSI disc inodes in the one
directory. I went through this discussion when coming up with the new
location-based SCSI names. In the end I decided that too many levels
of directories was a hindrance to administration and user navigation.

Regards,

Richard....