Re: is this fs corruption?

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 02:01:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

>messages are more indicative of a filesystem which wasn't cleanly
>unmounted before a shutdown, or possibly one caused by the bug caused by

I explicit run telinit S, umount /, and then fsck -f /dev/hda1.

>the Debian upgrade which replaces shared libraries and then reboots.

Hug, none Debian package forced me to reboots the machine (it doesn' t
exists WinDebian ;-). With Debian you must reboot only to upgrade the
kernel.

Usually I run telinit u after upgrading sysvinit or libc6 but I could have
missed it...

Now I returned to run at 233Mhz (not 266 as before ;-) but I really dubit
about that, the bus speed was just right) and without DMA and I will take
care of every possible upgrade. The next week I' ll try a fsck -f. If
everything will be OK I' ll return to enable DMA to try to reproduce. I
hope the problem was DMA and not a random kernel bug... BTW I am compiling
with gcc-2.8.1, if the next week I' ll find something not perfect in the
fs I'll try with the trusted 2.7.2. My istinct say me that gcc-2.8.1 isn'
t the problem though.

Thanks.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli