Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:33:02 +1200

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 03:10:55PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> The issue of raw disk access is more important, but even there I'd be
> surprised if Oracle could get the functionality they needed using
> fsync().

The syncing of the data hard to disk isn't the issue - its the copy
cost and sometimes have multiple copies of the data around in
unnecessary and wasteful of memory - and memory can be very precious
for database performance.

Also, smart database will limit the amount of cache a particular user
or process can pollute, this is really useful because it means if joe
user is doing a table scan on a multi-gigabyte table, he won't be
able to trash more than x% of the cache and adversely affect other
processes which are running.

For killer database speed, people should use raw devices, so I don't
think the 2GB limit is a problem.

I would be really nice to hear from someone at Oracle or Informix
about this. Presumably they know more about database performance and
requirements than most of us here.

-cw