Re: SMP code and uniprocessor

Joseph H. Buehler (jhpb@sarto.gaithersburg.md.us)
03 Aug 1998 08:19:02 -0400

Bill Hawes <whawes@transmeta.com> writes:

> It's safe for most machines, though every now and then an SMP kernel breaks
> on UP. Supposedly there's a performance penalty, though.
>
> A few systems/motherboards won't work with an SMP kernel.

How about replacing things like

#ifdef __SMP__

with

if (__SMP__) {

I.e., use a run-time check instead of a compile-time check. Then
auto-detect an SMP machine at boot, or make it a kernel boot
parameter. I currently have to recompile my RedHat kernel whenever I
upgrade; it would be nice not to have to do that when 2.2 is ready.

Joe Buehler