Re: HELP 2.1.108/SMP: Oops + Trace, inode 08:11/62243 still has locks!

Bill Hawes (whawes@transmeta.com)
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:32:23 -0700

Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> iput: inode 08:11/62243 still has locks!
> iput: device 08:11 inode 62243 still has aliases!
> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000008
> current->tss.cr3 = 0ac73000, %cr3 = 0ac73000

Could you look up what inode was involved here? Knowing which fs was involved may give information on
the usage pattern. These messages usually indicate a bug in the fs -- inodes aren't supposed to be
released with any locks or dentries still attached.

> Why can't I keep any of my machines working? Argh, every single day it's
> just crash after crash after crash. It takes so damn long to write the
> Oops messages that sometimes I can't wait since they are production
> machines.. I had to run 2.1.x on the SMP box since 2.0.x didn't boot.

Be patient -- 2.1.xx is getting better every day. Try upgrading to 2.1.111, and please do keep sending
in the oops reports if they occur.

Regards,
Bill