Problem compiling 2.1.90

Bill Goolsby (BILL@cellbio.emory.edu)
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:52:37 EST

> Paolo D'Urso wrote:
>
> > Can somebody help me compiling kernel 2.1.90?B
> > On a Pentium and on a Pentium II, I get the following result:
>
> Please give us more details - what compiler are you using? BTW, 2.1.90
> is old. You should be looking at the latest kernel releases (2.1.111),
> this is a lot better than 2.1.90.
> Cheers,
> Alex.

I get exactly the same error as Paolo when trying to compile 2.1.90.
Details are below. The reason I want to use 2.1.90 instead of a
later kernel is that I want to use SMP and the Real Time extensions,
and 2.1.90 is the latest kernel the Real Time people support.

Details:

I am trying to compile kernel 2.1.90 in preparation for installing
SMP 1.2a so I can work with both SMP and Real Time.

I get so far as running "make zImage", which runs for about 20
minutes then gives this error:

Assembler messages:
Error: operands given don't match any known 386 instruction

after command line:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -D__ASSEMBLY__ -D__SMP__
-traditional -c locks.S -o locks.o

error occurs in lines 70 and 73 of file /tmp/cca04733.s.
This appears to be trying to assemble file
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib/locks.S. I think the original source
lines in this file are 19 and 22, which are:

btl %dl, SYMBOL_NAME(smp_invalidate_needed)
btrl %dl, SYMBOL_NAME(smp_invalidate_needed)

My distribution is Redhat 5.1 (kernel 2.0.34), and I believe all the
tools are up to date with what is required to compile 2.1.90 - I
checked the versions
required in Documentation/Changes, and it didn't look like I needed
anything newer. At any rate, I did not update any
tools or packages before trying to compile 2.1.90. All the
steps up to compiling (make config, make dep) performed with no
errors. My hardware is an Intel Premiere/PCI motherboard, upgraded
with a 133MHz Pentium overdrive chip. I also tried compiling 2.1.90
on a dual Pentium II system using an Intel N440BX server motherboard,
with the same error resulting.

Any ideas?

Bill Goolsby, MSEE, Senior Associate
Emory University ^___^