Re: IDE DMA corruption: Blacklist all WD?

Rafael Reilova (rreilova@ececs.uc.edu)
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 21:59:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Trever Adams wrote:

> I disagree with the broad statement that all WD drives are crap. I have
> two boxes that use only WD drives (hda: WDC AC33100H, 3020MB w/128kB
> Cache, CHS=767/128/63
> hdb: WDC AC33100H, 3020MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=767/128/63) to be exact on
> this one. The other computer has one. They work fine. Right now this

This exact same drive just died on me after three months of use under
Linux for no apparent reason whatsoever. Suddenly half the disk had CRC
errors, or sectors not found. No low-level, no nothing fix. DMA did work
correctly while it lasted though. I just got a replacement which supports
UDMA2 and is 4GB. I'll let you know what I find once I get everything
properly reinstalled again.

I would seem that we need to check firmware revs. and such. This bad
drive phenomenon seems to be batch-related. With some models being
complete crap, some others just a batch or two.

Also a torture test program that exercises the UDMA/DMA would be *very*
helpful, so that we can test for corruption in perhaps hours instead of
months. Has someone written something like that already?

> P.S. I have had nothing but bad luck with Maxtor with Linux or any other

Actually, old Maxtor drives are fine (<= 540MB). I have one on an old
486, 4 years and still spinning. It would seem there are some really bad
batches out there from almost all manufacturers :-(

Cheers,

Rafael