re: mount/smbmount (2.2. release)

Peter Waltenberg (peterw@dascom.com)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:22:09 +1000 (EST)

>David Howells wrote:
>>
>> Can someone tell me where to get appropriate versions of mount/smbmount for
>> linux 2.1.108?

>Yes, smbmount is now included in the Samba package.

>Check smbfs.txt in kernel Documentation/filesystems for details.

>Regards,
>Bill

Thats not quite correct, it'll work provided you don't have a libc-6 based
system. If you have libc-6, it won't compile. I.e. Redhat 5.0 or 5.1.

Even with the "obvious" changes made to make smbmount and smbmnt compile I've
still got problems with ownership of the mount points. (Effectively making it
unusable).

The "last" libc-5 version has just been released. (I know, thats a lot
like saying we have a kernel freeze). And it seems very likely that most
distributions with the 2.2 kernel are going to be aiming at using libc-6.

Which leaves us with a kernel, but quite a few sets of broken support tools out
there. (knfsd is even worse than smbmount for example).

I don't want to reopen the "we fix it this way" flamewars. But we do really
need this stuff working by the time 2.2 comes out

The "required upgrades" list for the 2.1 kernels needs work as well, if you do
upgrade to libc6 (as per suggestion), you suddenly find that you can't compile
some of the other packages in there.

Is anyone out there capable of providing a site for "libc-6" compatable
versions of the support tool sources ?, or just providing a site where we can
list the still "broken with libc-6" packages. (Alan's todo list maybe).

I realize these things aren't direct kernel problems, but it'll discourage
people from using Linux if they try to use say smbfs and can't build the tools
to mount the filesystems.

Peter
E-Mail: Peter Waltenberg <peterw@dascom.com>
Date: 24-Jul-98