Re: sound driver problems in 2.1.110

John Hayward-Warburton (linux@billabong.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:44:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Bob_Tracy wrote:
> Tried the new wavefront driver, but didn't compile it as a module.
> Got the following undefined symbols: attach_wavefront, probe_wavefront,
> and unload_wavefront.

>From my testing, it works as a module, but some patches (not sure
about the latest one) have a couple of #defines that don't get
patched properly:

In include/linux/soundcard.h you need to add

#define WAVEFRONT_PATCH _PATCHKEY(0x06)

after the GUS_PATCH definition in struct patch_info { ... }

and

#define SAMPLE_TYPE_WAVEFRONT 0x11

after the SAMPLE_TYPE_GUS definition in struct synth_info { ... }

The latest changes may have rendered this unnecessary. Also, earlier
problems concerning cold start-up of the WaveFront system have been
fixed, according to the patch's maintainer. There's a very helpful
README... that comes with the patch.

I'm just a happy user of the patch which has given full MIDI and
wavetable capabilities to this Linux/GNU machine running kernel
2.1.110-pre2

John Hayward-Warburton
linux@billabong.demon.co.uk