Re: linux 2.0.35

Mike (mike@oakley.keble.ox.ac.uk)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:56:56 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, jason wrote:

> I have been have not been able to get 2.0.35 to boot all the way. I know
> this is a developement list but maybe someone can offer me a suggestion.
>
> My system is a:
> pentium 233 mmx
> 64 megs SDRAM
> running slackware
> glibc
> egcs1.0.3a
> init 2.74
>
> here is the error i get
>
> INIT: version 2.74
> INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..
> INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..
>
> then the box locks up

The only time I've seen this, it was caused by a line in /etc/inittab
containing only a single space. (ie it looks like a blank line, but
isn't). No idea why this causes this problem, but it does.

--
Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>

The more I see of men the more I admire dogs. -- Mme De Sevigne, 1626-1696