Re: Linux behaviour in low memory situations.

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 20:03:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On 19 Jul 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> >behaviour (but again, because of mm changes in 2.1.109, please use that
>
> I just tried yesterday and 2.1.109 seems to handle the out of memory
> right (sure it don' t deadlock).

It does the right thing for me too.

BUT. There may be cicrumstances where it doesn't do the right thing. I
haven't tested swapfiles (as opposed to swap partitions) in a long time,
for example, and there may be other usage patterns that trigger problems.

So I think 2.1.109 should be doing the right thing, but I'm still very
much interested in people trying things out, because it may be that it
does the right thing 99% of the time, but then on 1% of the machines it
does something wrong due to a setup difference or similar.

This is certainly the right time to test and complain..

Linus