Re: reduce fragmentation: patch for 2.1.108 fs/namei.c

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:48:29 -0400

Andi Kleen wrote:

> I think it would be better to just remove the quicklist altogether. If
> you look at the path in __get_free_page() it doesn't add too much overhead,
> and I think preventing L1 icache pollution should always have priority :)

I too had doubts about the value of the quicklist, and so added the
comment asking whether anyone had actually benchmarked it. So maybe
someone will come forward with a "yes, using the quicklist produced x%
improvement" -- but otherwise I would agree that removing it would be
better.

Regards,
Bill