Re: APM support with the Linux 2.1.108 kernel

C. Scott Ananian (cananian@mit.edu)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 03:57:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>
> [failure to powerdown on shutdown]
>
> > This is actually a user-land change to the shutdown program. Upgrade
> > 'shutdown' and use the '-o' option to power-off on shutdown.
>
> Oh. Well, that solves that little problem, but leaves me wondering
> something - the kernel APM code is needed to provide the ability, and
> the -o uses it, correct?

Yes. There was actually a kernel-level interface change involved here;
the kernel uses to power-off on shutdown 'magically' if configured that
way, then the power-off was split into a proper shutdown option, which
required user-mode changes to support.

> > This is a known problem that I've attempted to track down many times over
> > the past year and a half, without success. I'm out of possible causes,
> > and so far I haven't been successful in tracing my BIOS's APM code back to
> > any type of evil instruction. <sigh> *BSD is said to work; I wasn't able
> > to find any significant differences between the OpenBSD apm code and ours.
>
> This is a persistant laptops never swap to disk issue? If so, I will
> have a play with my box and see. I was using a partition to do the
> swapping to, and that failed, but I planned to move my root from hda1 to
> hda4 (argh!), create a FAT hda1, and use the swap to file option there;
> of course, if this is not of any real value (eg: already tried to death
> or whatever), please let me know.

No, some laptops swap to disk just fine. And others (like my own personal
box) freeze mysteriously. According to the official APM spec, they
shouldn't. I expect that my APM BIOS is doing something slightly
non-kosher. Of course, it works with Win95 --- which I suspect is all the
testing the BIOS manufacturer bothered to do.
--Scott
@ @