Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 22:13:13 +0100 (BST)

> On Monday, July 13, 1998 2:41 PM, Richard Stallman
> [SMTP:rms@santafe.edu] wrote:
> > Of course, there are thousands of non-free programs, and while this is
> > unfortunate, we don't spend our time worrying about them. So why is
> > Qt different? Because Qt sets a trap for free software developers in
> > a way that most other proprietary programs do not.
>
> How is this different from writing free software for, say, MS Windows?

If you read the GPL it attempts to define an exception for the specific
case of "where things come with the distribution" - in otherwords things
like the windows runtime which everyone has and which doesnt restrict
your program.

Qt isnt part of the linux kernel, its not clear its a base distribution item,
and it does restrict your program - you cannot sell it without paying troll
tech. Thats where the Qt problems begin, you create a desktop that prices
out commercial software.

The purpose of the GPL is to keep software free within the definition of the
GPL. Software that depends on something that isnt generally and freely
available (free GPL not free financial) to function is not really free.

That goes for anything. A Linux kernel which uses a proprietary networking
stack isnt free in just the same way.

KDE is a paticularly sad fringe case, because its software that
wants to be free, and also because although it has a few holes and seems
to have the odd security worry right now its very nice software.

And yes I still gnome was the wrong answer versus doing a free qt like
library and porting KDE to it so they met nicely in the middle. Whats
passed is passed however.

Please at least make sure your office objects and the like interoperate folks

Alan