Re: everyone who has VM problems/messages (writable swappage or crash or lockup)

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Thu, 09 Jul 1998 18:56:13 -0400

Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> said:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:
> > i'm not criticising EGCS or GCC 2.8, we should give all the hard-working
> > compiler-developers a helping hand. (many kernel developers use EGCS)
> > It's just that it's a variable in the equation and we have to find out
> > wether it's an invariant or not :)

> Actually, I really like egcs-1.0.3a, but I'd love to see the optimisation
> problems fixed. Let's hope egcs-1.1 will be able to compile 2.0.x and
> 2.1.x kernels correctly.

It's the *kernel*, not the compiler, that would need fixing in 2.0.x, and
that just won't happen: Too much work for next to no gain. Use 2.2 when it
comes out, it will be egcs-burned-in.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl