Re: (reiserfs) Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability

David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:29:21 -0700 (PDT)

I have a similar (but smaller) situation. I have a 40GB raid array (hardware
raid5) it looks like a single spindle to the system. I use it for several
hundred small databases (informix which my DBA tells me prefers seperate
filesystems for each database ~32MB ea) and occasionally need to add space to
one of them as they grow. This is curently being run on an IBM AIX box which
allows me to grow filesystems in 16MB chunks. so far I have only had to grow one
database more then once. On this system I have not (yet) had the requirement to
shrink filesystems.
The allocation size on AIX depends on the drive size. They have a max number of
allocation units (~1006) and when you create a volume group you pick the
allocation size for that volume group. the default is 4MB which works up to ~4GB
beond that you need larger chunks.

David Lang