Re: 2.1.107 frame buffer _badly_ broken (fwd)

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 22:20:06 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Scott Murray wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Bradley M Keryan wrote:
> >>Or, by placing calls to kd_mksound at the beginning of some of the major
> >>functions in fbcon.c, it *sounds* like the kernel gets to the point where
> >>it starts calling fbcon_putc when I use vgafb, but with vesafb it gets
> >>stuck somewhere in or after fbcon_setup. Vgafb seems to be printing
> >>kernel messages in all black on black. Also, vgacon works fine.
> >
> > My system definitely doesn't continue to boot up. That's of the things
> > even ear damaged people can hear :))
>
> I haven't tried debugging it yet, but I'm suffering from the
> black-on-black text problem as well. This is with plain vgafb and
> a Matrox Millenium II 4Mb.

Having a Pentium during the weekend, I tried 2.1.107 on Intel myself and also
found the black-on-black problem. Apart from this, the system does work (serial
terminals _are_ usefull :-)

Strange thing: it does _not_ occur with a vger.rutgers.edu 2.1.103 source tree
I had still lying aroung here. And that tree contained the abstract console
driver since many months...

Greetings,

Geert (creating diffs between vger and Linus')

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be