Re: egcs-1.0.3a weirdness with lynx-2.8 on v2.1.107

David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:17:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, D.A. Harris wrote:
> In Unix, not just Linux, I'm always operated on the notion that you needed
> more swap than memory (gizzled Unix sys. admin. experience), and that you

this is a very subjective notion. if i have 512megs of ram, i surely
don't want to purchase a 1gig drive just for swap. on the other hand,
only having 4megs of ram tends to require a significant amount of swap.

instead of 'how much swap', suggest an average sum of ram+swap based on
the type of usage. a small router can fit in 4megs with ease. you might
want 32-48 for an advanced router. an office suite desktop probably wants
64+. i usually do fine with 80 (ram). but of course you may want 80 megs
just for netscape... ;)

-d

--
Please read the linux/Documentation/ files and review the last week of mail
on linux-kernel before posting your problem.