Re: 2.1.107 frame buffer _badly_ broken (fwd)

Scott Murray (scottm@interlog.com)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:41:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Bradley M Keryan wrote:

>>Or, by placing calls to kd_mksound at the beginning of some of the major
>>functions in fbcon.c, it *sounds* like the kernel gets to the point where
>>it starts calling fbcon_putc when I use vgafb, but with vesafb it gets
>>stuck somewhere in or after fbcon_setup. Vgafb seems to be printing
>>kernel messages in all black on black. Also, vgacon works fine.
>
> My system definitely doesn't continue to boot up. That's of the things
> even ear damaged people can hear :))

I haven't tried debugging it yet, but I'm suffering from the
black-on-black text problem as well. This is with plain vgafb and
a Matrox Millenium II 4Mb.

Did anyone else notice some compile errors in mdafb.c when building
it as a module? I managed to get it to compile with some prodding,
but since I can't get the fbcon stuff up and running, I haven't had
a chance to test the mda module on my system, which is dual-headed.

Scott