Re: uniform input device packets?

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:47:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Allanah Myles wrote:

> On 1998.06.26, Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu> wrote:
> > > You currently can't attach 9 mice to a standard PC, so what's the
> > > problem?
> >
> > I certainly can put a multiport serial card (or more than one) in
> > my machine and hang mice off all the ports.
>
> OK, you certainly *can* find *some* way of doing this, but what's
> the practical implications? When would you ever *want* to do
> something like this?

What is I was implementing a multihead solution with 15 heads in
once machine or speed, maybe on a multiplayer game? What about if each
person needs two mice for my control scheme?

> When would you *want* to have more than 8 devices of any specific
> *type* to a machine?

The point is not that I want this now, but that someone *might*
want it in the future and that it is a bad thing to build in these sorts
of arbitrary restrictions into a protocol.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed