Re: 2.1.107 frame buffer _badly_ broken

Enrico Demarin (mccoy@smc.it)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:45:24 +0200

>From: Horst von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>
>Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:16:09 -0500
>Subject: 2.1.107 frame buffer _badly_ broken
>
>i586 UP, egcs-19980621, binutils-2.9.1.0.6
>
>My graphics card is identified as:
>
> Bus 0, device 9, function 0:
> VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 5446 (rev 0).
> Medium devsel.
> Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0000008].
>
>Whatever I gave to vga=ask, either I saw something (mostly CRC breakage
>when booting) or I got very nice boot messages in tasteful black on a nice
>black background. The boot froze everytime before finishing the first
>screenful, but seemingly not with a checksum error with black screen
>(ctrl-alt-del worked). Got rid of framebuffer stuff, boots and runs OK up
>to here. Just one flicker when booting (switching to graphics mode, or
>trying to?).

Same problem here, i have a S3 Trio64v2dx....
Compiled without framebuffer works but setfont is broken and no scrollback
buffer...

The Trio64v2dx i have doesnt have vesa bios 2.0... however there is a dos
program which
enables vesa 2.0 bios on S3... i wonder how does it work and if it's
possible to get a nice
graphics console and framebuffer support on my cheap cheap card as well :)

(but no i dont plan to change vga card just to get a nice logo =)

enrico