Re: Sendmail 8.9.0 claims a Linux kernel bug

Ben Gertzfield (che@debian.org)
25 Jun 1998 20:55:49 -0700

Alan> Fix sendmail, better yet get a better mail daemon

Ben> Wish I could. Trust me, I wish I could. :) But this is an ISP
Ben> with an ancient hand-crafted sendmail.cf that nobody actually
Ben> knows how it works, and upgrading to zmailer or qmail would
Ben> entail someone figuring out exactly what every single line in
Ben> the old sendmail.cf does. *shudder*

H> Why? Why not simply decide what you need and re-implement from
H> scratch? I'm sure that'd you get rid of a lot of cruft that
H> way...

I tried that once -- nobody could decide exactly what we needed,
and so I implemented what I thought was what we needed and
got 400 angry customers jumping down my back because CGI program
A was no longer forwarding to user B and so on and so forth.

It's scary when things aren't done right in the first place.

--
Brought to you by the letters E and H and the number 4.
"Moshimoshi. Kikoemasu ka?" "Kakenaoshimasu kara ne! 1-do kitte kudasai."