Re: AIC7XXXX bug in 2.0.34

Mike Bennett (mbennett@ns1.cfcc.cc.fl.us)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:25:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Doug Paul wrote:

> There appears to be an intermittant bug in the boot sequence for
> the AIC7XXX driver in 2.0.34.

> Boot sequence intermittant hang in scsi reset infinite loop.
> (most boots, only got 1 to succeed)

I compiled 2.0.34 last night and experienced the exact same problem. I've
got a 2940UW with 2 Microp HD's and a CDROM attached to it. After several
config changes and recompiles attempting to make it work, I gave up and
went to bed.

I was about to start again figuring that I was obviously doing something
wrong. But, it seems perhaps not. I had originally installed Redhat 5.0
with 2.0.32 and had upgraded to 2.0.33 - both worked perfectly with the
aic7xxx driver in those kernels and my hardware.

2.0.34 refuses to boot. Doug was actually able to post some error data
after being able to get one full boot. Unfortunately, I have never got
past the infinite loop during the boot sequence.

Is it safe/advisable to simply use the aic7xxx driver from 2.0.33 since it
works fine? If so, is there anything special that I should be aware of
using a different driver than what comes with the kernel?

Thanks!
Mike