Re: RFS?

Elliot Lee (sopwith@redhat.com)
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 13:02:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> Like many, I don't think much of NFS. ("I'd rather have a network
> file system than NFS." -- Geoff Collyer) I'd rather use RFS.
> Unfortunately, right about the time that Sun and AT&T became strange
> bedfellows and Slowlaris became SVR4, RFS seemed to drop below the
> industry's collective radar, and I haven't heard anything about it
> since.
>
> Has anyone reverse-engineered RFS for the free unices? Are there
> working alternatives to NFS that have some of RFS's good qualities?

FWIW, (very old) RFS source code is available in volume 3 of any
comp.sources.unix archive.
ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume3/rfs/

I'd like to think that Coda (http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/) is going to be
the next big thing in networked filesystems, but I don't know if it meets
your stated requirements.

Hope this helps,
-- Elliot
When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather...
...not yelling and screaming like the people in the back of the
plane he was flying.