Re: Are applications for Linux platform specific?

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Thu, 21 May 1998 20:18:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Noah Beck wrote:
> I thought that I read once that the ELF format (it was SOME format, may
> not have been ELF) allowed the compiler to include object code for more
> than one target processor type. So that you could produce an executable
> (and this would almost have to be done with a compiler aware of multiple
> target types) which was, say, about twice the size but ran transparently
> on two different types of processors. There would be a code segment in
> the executable that was specific to each platform. Anybody else hear of
> this?

Yeah, Nexts did this for a while, it was either 68k and intel or 68k and
8800. As has macos, ie fat powerpc/68k.

> Noah
>
> -

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E