Re: Modules

Trevor Johnson (trevor@jpj.net)
Thu, 21 May 1998 20:40:39 -0700 (PDT)

James Mastros wrote:

> > BSD compression,
> Legal reasons. There is a patent on the compression scheme, but it isn't
> enforced currently. Keeping the alogrithim out of the kernel proper might
> avoid some entanglements (making all of the kernel illegal instead of
> only that module). See the docs for GNU gzip for details, I'm guessing.

% grep -i2 patent drivers/net/ppp_deflate.c
* Decompress a Deflate-compressed packet.
*
* Because of patent problems, we return DECOMP_ERROR for errors
* found by inspecting the input data and for system problems, but
* DECOMP_FATALERROR for any errors which could possibly be said to
* be being detected "after" decompression. For DECOMP_ERROR,
* we can issue a CCP reset-request; for DECOMP_FATALERROR, we may be
* infringing a patent of Motorola's if we do, so we take CCP down
* instead.
*
___
Trevor Johnson