Re: kernel profiling in 2.1 ?

Chris Adams (cadams@ro.com)
18 May 1998 14:21:41 GMT

According to Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>:
>On Sun, May 17, 1998 at 03:03:05PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> If that is true, then the machine should also hang from a simple
>>
>> main()
>> {
>> for (;;) ;
>> }
>>
>> does it?
>
>it does.
>
>Thomas.

Are you sure you didn't muck something up in your profiling patch? I am
running 2.1.102-pre1 on a UDB, which is virtually the same as your
Noname (same kernel compile option). I tried the "gzip < /dev/zero >
/dev/null" and the above program, and nothing special happened. I did
these while running X and loading pages in the (DEC Unix version of)
Netscape, and there was only a barely noticable slowdown.

--
Chris Adams - cadams@ro.com
System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services