Re: Why from there?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 14 May 1998 13:22:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> > If somebody wants to do this, feel free. They can unpack my kernels
> > and repack them, and do this automatically.
>
> And if somebody decides to do so, and to add some code of their own to
> the tarball before retarring it with the correct directory structure,
> you will take full responsibility for any bugs their additional code
> causes?

No.

If you think this is a big problem, then write a script. Never touch my
tar-balls at all unmodified. You write your _own_ script, and take your
own consequences of that script. I simply do not care.

I find it much easier for me to just have a single directory called
"linux" when I do development. The fact that I pack this up as a tar-ball
is out of the goodness of my heart - I used to do only patch-files for
development kernels, with the occasional tar-ball to let people synch up
more easily.

So consider the patch-files as the primary means of kernel development,
and consider the tar-balls secondary, and the lack of version numbering
makes complete sense.

Linus