Re: Slight change to daemonless kernel/kmod.c: please test

Shaw Carruthers (shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 01:06:15 +0100 (GMT+0100)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Adam J. Richter wrote:

> I just tried it and it works fine for me. I.e., I cannot
> reproduce your problem.
>
> kmod sets the effective and real user id of modprobe to 0, so
> that is not the problem, even though errno 13 is indeed EACCESS
> (from /usr/include/asm/errno.h). Maybe there is some other difference
> in the environments that you compared or maybe you're doing something
> with access control lists? I am mystified.
>
> Also, make sure you are using the very latest version. I.e.,
> please apply the kmod.c that I posted to linux-kernel this morning.

I am using the latest version.

I have tracked this down to permissions on /sbin/modprobe

I had

drwxr-x--- 2 root root 2048 Apr 20 09:50 /sbin

changing this to

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2048 Apr 20 09:50 /sbin

and it works!

--
Shaw Carruthers - shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk
London SW14 7JW UK