Re: Linux has a broken shutdown syscall!

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
28 Apr 1998 16:44:37 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.m0yUHev-000aNhC@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> Do the 'uname' system call and look at the version number at runtime. Have 2
>> configuration variables which contain the shutdown states. If you detect
>> strncmp(utsname.release,"2.0",3)==0 then set it up for the munge, else
>> make it right. This can all just be an #ifdef to please the clean code guys.
>
>2.0.34pre12 will fix this (it does already but Im still hacking on the two
>remaining bugs to very long life high stability kernels . It (and pre11b)
>also contain a lot of security fixes. So once 2.0.34 is out
>
>a) The bug is fixed
>b) Very few people should be running <2.0.34 once the first brave folk
> prove its a solid as we believe it will be

I don't think you should hold your breath on this second one.

____
david parsons \bi/ Planning to upgrade from 2.0.28 to 2.2.x this fall.
\/