Re: Clustering on Linux

David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 02:39:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Sebastian Taralunga wrote:
> || BTW: does Linux know about clusters? As far as I know, no.
> || NT5 knows already and this makes it less prone to attacks..
> Which proves that indeed what they understand by "clustering". But what
> really is clustering, and does linux support it?

*cough* beowulf/avalon *cough*

http://cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov/beowulf/

linux has been clustered for a few years. and nasa is just one entity
doing it :) the beowulf name for clustering is used at several other
locations like caltech and los alamos.

avalon is at:

http://cnls.lanl.gov/avalon/

there is a recently setup cluster. rather impressive, peaking at 19.3
Gflops. to the best of my knowledge....nothing m$ makes does this.

-d
p.s. the note on slashdot says NT peaks at 4 processors. i do believe
the avalon cluster slighly exceeds that ;)

--
Please read the linux/Documentation/ files and review the last week of mail
on linux-kernel before posting your problem.  --thankyou