Re: linux 2.1.98 sound timeouts

Michael Poole (poole@graviton.res.cmu.edu)
27 Apr 1998 16:30:46 -0400

Mike Baker <mjbaker@mtu.edu> writes:

> I'm sure this bug has already been posted, but if not here it is
> anyways.
>
> I'm running a linux 2.1.98 system with an old soundblaster 16 card and I
> seem to be suffering dsp problems. The card will work fine when the
> kernel is initially booted but as soon as the first sound event stops
> the soundcard ceases to function properly playing only intermittent
> sounds about once a second.
>
> "Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?"
>
> I am *sure* the IRQ is set correctly and it does work in every kernel
> version < 2.1.88 or so.
> I suspect there is an error closing the device after inital play, yet I
> don't know enough about sound drivers to fix it.
>
> Could someone else please confirm that this is a kernel error, and if so
> suggest some fixes?
> I'm willing to test any patches.

I'm seeing the same thing, and have been for a while, with my sound
card as well -- however, it gives the time out error every time an app
tries to use the wave output functions, and all I hear are quiet clicks.

For contrast, my sound card is a Gateway OEM version of an Aztech
Sound Galaxy card of some variety; in earlier kernels, the Microsoft
Sound System driver worked fine. Sound seems to have broken relatively
recently -- I haven't been able to get it to work since 2.1.89 or so,
even by changing the (previously working) settings to just about
everything I can think of.

Trying to boot the 2.1.98-vger hangs while probing my SCSI bus, and
importing the drivers/sound directory to plain 2.1.98 doesn't help.