Re: Serial console fails (was Re: SMP hard lock in 2.1.97...)

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:24:47 +1000

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:15:02 +0200,
David Woodhouse <Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> with serial console and boot with a serial console at 38400 baud.
>
>A fine plan, marred only by the fact that any "console=" option on the command
>line causes _NO_ console to be registered. I've used:
> console=ttyS1 console=tty0
> console=ttyS1,9600 console=tty0
> console=tty0
> console=ttyS1 console=tty0 console=tty
> console=ttyS1,9600

Strange, works for me. /etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=30
root=current
read-only
append="console=tty0"
image=/test_kernel/2.1.97
label=2.1.97
append="console=tty0 console=ttyS1,38400"
optional

Comparing your .config with mine, the only thing unusual is you have
>CONFIG_SERIAL_SHARE_IRQ=y
Can you run without that option? In any case, if you get some console
output, you should be able to capture the kernel trace. At 9600 it
will take a ...long... time.