Serial console fails (was Re: SMP hard lock in 2.1.97...)

David Woodhouse (Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:15:02 +0200

<Quoting a private message, hope you don't mind.>

kaos@ocs.com.au said:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 05:34:29 +0200,
> David Woodhouse <Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >The NMI watchdog didn't appear to notice anything wrong. Alt-SysRq-P showed
> >nothing interesting - the CPU that responded was always in user-space.
> >Is there a way to force the NMI watchdog to kick in?
>
> David, would you try ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/patch-ikd-2.1.97.gz.
> Compile with kernel trace activated, say 20000 lines. Also compile
> with serial console and boot with a serial console at 38400 baud.
> Obviously you need another machine to capture the serial console
> output.

A fine plan, marred only by the fact that any "console=" option on the command
line causes _NO_ console to be registered. I've used:
console=ttyS1 console=tty0
console=ttyS1,9600 console=tty0
console=tty0
console=ttyS1 console=tty0 console=tty
console=ttyS1,9600

I've even tried bypassing the command line and declaring the default in
printk.c to be ttyS1 and tty0, with tty0 preferred:

struct console_cmdline console_cmdline[MAX_CMDLINECONSOLES]=
{{ "ttyS1",1,"9600" ),
{ "tty0",0,NULL }};
static int preferred_console=1;

With any of these, I get absolutely no console output until the MDA module
loads during the boot process. There is no kernel change for the MDA code, so
that's got nothing to do with the problem.

CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_M586=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SLRAM=y
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_OLD_PROC=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=y
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ALIAS=y
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
CONFIG_IP_NOSR=y
CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
CONFIG_IPX=y
CONFIG_IPX_INTERN=y
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=y
CONFIG_OVERRIDE_CMDS=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM=y
CONFIG_NET_ISA=y
CONFIG_NET_EISA=y
CONFIG_DEC_ELCP=y
CONFIG_SLIP_COMPRESSED=y
CONFIG_SLIP_SMART=y
CONFIG_SLIP_MODE_SLIP6=y
CONFIG_QUOTA=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_NCP_FS=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_PACKET_SIGNING=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_IOCTL_LOCKING=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_STRONG=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_NFS_NS=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_OS2_NS=y
CONFIG_NCPFS_MOUNT_SUBDIR=y
CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y
CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y
CONFIG_AMIGA_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_PRINTER_READBACK=y
CONFIG_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
CONFIG_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_SOFT_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_RTC=y
CONFIG_NVRAM=y
CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND=y
CONFIG_PCSP_16BIT=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUGGING=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SOFTLOCKUP=y
CONFIG_TRACE=y
CONFIG_TRACE_CPU=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_MCOUNT=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y

David Woodhouse, Robinson College, CB3 9AN, England. (+44) 0976 658355
Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk http://www.imladris.demon.co.uk
finger pgp@dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk for PGP key.