Re: 2.1.97 mm and cache

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:59:46 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > I really don' t think the problems is the swap code. I think the problem
> > > is the cache allocating code. Only it. Then the swapping code try to free
> > > memory swapping all out. As ever I never got into mm details so I can be
> > > wrong.
> >
> > My friend showed how 2.1.97 stall on its laptop with 8Mbyte of ram. So I
> > tried to develop something with that hardware. To hang 2.1.97 I need to
> > `cp -r linux tmp` and then run a `make mrproper` on a kernel tree as
> > suggested by my friend.
>
> Renice kswapd to some non-realtime priorityy. If it helps, let me
> know.

How do things work with my latest patch (available from
my homepage & LinuxHQ) ???

If it doesn't work, we should work out some special settings
for /proc/sys/vm/swapctl...

> I'm not really sure we should run kswapd on realtime priority, it just
> hangs too many machines... [Magic-Foo: renice kswapd? :-) ]

Not realtiming kswapd would give even bigger problems when
people have a memory shortage. Besides, kswapd seems to be
rather problem-free with my latest patch.

Rik.