Re: unicode (char as abstract data type)

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.noris.de)
21 Apr 1998 11:51:23 +0200

Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us> writes:
> > instead. [In forum we additionaly try to approximate chars like 1/2
> > with string "1/2".] It's doable and I'm doing that in forum. :-)
>
> Now imagine what will happen to vi (or anything with curses), if it will
> think that console uses single character for single character that it
> displays. This is really a situation where with all "we have unicode on
> console" talk one can better accept the limitation of hardware rather than

For applications which need fixed-width one-byte display, there obviously
will not be a multibyte approximation (which is language-dependent anyway).

> stuff unicode conversion tables into kernel in a poor attempt to cover
> those limitations up. At least with "dumb" console I can load my charset

You need to stuff _some_ tabels into the kernel, whether they're Unicode or
whatever doesn't matter much. But since Unicode is the most general way to
do this we have yet invented, we do it that way until some better universal
standard comes along.

Fair enough?

--
Matthias Urlichs