Re: PATCH: smart symlink loop detection.

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.noris.de)
21 Apr 1998 11:49:54 +0200

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> Essentially, what your patch does is to just remove the tail-recursion,
> which may be a good thing to do in itself, but it doesn't remove the
> mid-recursion.

... and the mid-recursion bit is exactly the problem with BIND.

Note that it's fairly easy to postprocess BIND's "make links" (or whatever)
to merge two or three of the symlink steps into one, and it's only slightly
less trivial to tell it to create direct symlinks instead of the recursive
setup it currently uses. But that's not a general solution, and there are
enough convoluted setups out there to warrant one. For instance, anybody
using amd typically has one or two mid-recurson links right at the start of
the path. (Yes I do know that amd is itself a problem and not a solution.
That's not the point.)

NB, I'd really like to see a fix in 2.2.

--
Matthias Urlichs
noris network GmbH